High School FAQ's

How can I access basic information about the CRHSAP High School?

To learn about the CRHSAP High School download the 2021-2022 High School Handbook.

How do I earn credits toward a home school high school diploma?  

There are several options for earning credits toward a high school diploma as a home school student:

  • Rent curriculum through our department
  • Purchase your own curriculum
  • Dual-enroll into a public high school (academic or extra-curricular classes)
  • Take Edgenuity online classes through our program
  • Take Dual Credit Classes
  • Kirkwood Academies (Linn Regional Learning Center) or Concurrent Classes
  • Kirkwood Concurrent Classes 

What kind of curriculum is available for home school high school students through your program?  

We have Language Arts, Science, Math and Social Studies curriculum available for you to rent. 

What are the graduation requirements for home school high school students?  

Students must complete a minimum of 40 credits as follows:  

  • Language Arts - 8 credits
  • Math - 6 credits
  • Science - 6 credits
  • Social Studies - 6 credits,
  • Physical Education - 4 credits
  • Elective Credits - 12 credits

Students and parents must keep documentation of the hours worked and grades. These records will be transfered to the High School Transcript. Resource teachers will provide support in this process.

Is there a home school high school graduation ceremony? 

CRHSAP holds a formal cap-and-gown graduation ceremony the end of May. 

Can I transfer credits for classes taught at home back to a public or private high school?  

Generally, no, but it depends on the guidelines set up by individual school districts or private schools. Cedar Rapids School District policy does not permit credits earned from classes taught at home to count toward public high school graduation requirements.

What additional opportunities for high school students are offered through your program?  

We offer weekly high school enrichment classes that cover various subjects.  Some field trips and fine arts performances are geared toward older students.  Job shadowing and internship opportunities can be arranged through Kirkwood ’s Workplace Learning Connection.

Are any accommodations made for students with special needs? 

Adjustments to graduation requirements to accommodate any open IEP goals or 504 plans could be made for special needs students achieving up to their potential.  Special needs services provided to any public high school student are also available to home school students in the CRHSAP.    

Is any kind of formal assessment required/available for home school high school students?  

The CRHSAP administers Iowa Assessment Tests annually during the same testing  window at the Cedar Rapids School District. The testing is given in April and is optional to homeschool students in Iowa. Students may also take other nationally recognized standardized tests such as the ACT, SAT, and Woodcock Johnson III.

What kinds of support services are available to parents of home school high school students enrolled in the CR-HSAP?   

Parents receive the services of a certified resource teacher who will help determine high school goals and assist with finalizing students’ high school transcripts, act as liaisons with district high schools, provide letters of recommendation, and support the college application process.     

What are the program requirements for home school high school families?  

High school students enrolled in the CR-HSAP are bound by the same requirements as all students under Competent Private Instruction as defined by Iowa law.  See the Iowa Department of Education website by clicking on the "About Us" tabfor more details.  All families in the program are required to have 16 contacts with a resource teacher during the course of the school year.  If students attend our classes, 4 face to face meetings are required. Otherwise, 8 face to face meeting are expected.    

Can credits earned from a public/private institution be transferred to a home school high school diploma?  

Credit for high school courses completed and passed will be counted toward the program’s graduation requirements upon receipt of that high school's transcript.   

How early can credits earned from a high school class be counted toward the requirements for graduation?  

High school course work completed during a student’s 8th grade school year, but no earlier, can be counted toward the program’s graduation requirements.

What kind of career preparation opportunities are available to high school students? 

Our students participate in career preparation through the Workplace Learning Connection.

The Workplace Learning Connection has two different options for bringing students together with area business professionals. The first option is a job shadow which allows sophomores, juniors and seniors to spend 2-6 hours with an area professional to get a first-hand look at their typical work day. The second option is an internship which allows high school juniors and seniors to spend 45-90 hours of planned and supervised career experience in a job of interest to them. If you are interested in either a job shadow or internship, please click on the Workplace Learning Connection link: www.workplace-learning.org. If you decide one is right for you, contact Kristin Schmaltz (kschmaltz@cr.k12.ia.us) in our office to begin the application process.